RC Engine Bearings
NPB® Bearings have been an industry leader in RC Engine bearings replacement since 2002. As radio controlled engines have evolved they have become more powerful, use more nitro fuel and come under greater thrust loads, than in the past. The nitro content can dry the thin, stock bearing retainer very quickly which makes the whole bearing susceptible to premature failure when subjected to high radial and thrust loads. NPB® Bearings is introducing the MX Bearing line to solve these specific issues.
MX bearings have a unique, new internal design to increase load capabilities. This allows the bearings to work under harsher operations where shafts come under excessive side and radial load. These bearings are available in both a standard high-speed version with either chrome steel balls or races or as a ceramic hybrid, with ceramic balls and chrome races. Chrome steel is used because it is harder than stainless steel but the races are also cryogenically processed to attain an even harder surface. A stronger, thicker retainer material has been used to allow the MX Bearings to hold up under high nitro content fuel and Grade 5 balls are used to give a closer tolerance to enhance performance.
MX-Speed engine bearings have 2 distinct advantages when compared to other bearings that provide decreased resistance, increased speed, load handling capabilities and extended bearing life.
- Precision Ball Races: A unique bearing race design is used that increases load capabilities, centering the balls in the middle of bearing race. This allows the bearing to continue to rotate smoothly when the crankshaft is subjected to harsh side and radial loads.
- PA46 Nylon Cage: A stronger, thicker bearing cage material has been developed that allows the bearings to withstand high nitro content fuel and excessive temperatures. The reinforced PA46 nylon has been subjected to Heat Distortion Temperatures of 554° without failure.
Our Ceramic Engine Bearings are a hybrid type, featuring Stainless Steel outer races with Si3N4 silicone nitride ceramic balls riding on a polymide inner race. Ceramic bearings have many advantages over standard steel bearings, such as decreased weight, higher RPM capabilities, increased corrosion and wear resistance, as well as reduced friction and vibration.
So next time you purchase a engine bearing, when you ask yourself “Why should I buy Ceramic?” You should be asking yourself “Why shouldn’t I?”
Advantages of Ceramic:
- High Speed: Hybrid Bearings can reach a resistance level of 1,200,000dN with grease lubrication, due to reduced slip, wear extent and heat productivity.
- Lightweight: The weight of ceramics is 60% lighter than steel, which decreases the centrifugal force and overall weight.
- Long Service Life: The service life of Hybrid Bearings is 3 to 5 times longer than that of steel in comparable working conditions.
- Self Lubricating: Even when poorly lubricated or with no lubrication, ceramic bearings will continue to function longer than steel under the same level of stress due to their self lubricating properties.
- Corrosion Resistance: Hybrid bearings have excellent corrosion resistance, and will continue to function while corroded.
- High Rigidity: The elastic ration of ceramics is 1.5 times greater than that of steel, this dramatically increases the rigidity of the balls.
- Low Friction: Ceramic materials have a low friction force. Even under the conditions of boundary lubrication, the surfaces are extremely smooth, so its friction force is low and the rotational friction moment is low.
- Wear Resistant: The micro-hardness of ceramics can reach a Vickers Hardness level of HV1700 kg/mm2
The MX Bearing line is currently available in a limited size range aimed at those engines with known stock bearing issues. MX RC Engine Bearings are made to give increased speed and extended life. Full bearing kits are available for engines such as Axe Rossi 21 size engines, JQ Products THE engines, Mugen Seiki Ninja 21 size engins, Nova Rossi 12/15/21/28 size engines, OFNA Picco 25 size engines, OS 15/18/21/25/30 size engines, Picco 15/21/27 sized engines, Collari, Sirio and more.